This recipe expands on my normal burger recipe by adding fresh sage, which really takes the whole flavour experience to a new level.
- 1lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1cup large flake oatmeal
- 1 tbs grainy dijon mustard
- 2tsp (2 good glugs) worcestershire saunce
- 2tsp (2 good glugs) soy sauce
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1tbsp horseradish
- 1tsp montreal steak spice
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 6 large sage leaves, finely chopped
Mash all ingredients together in a bowl. Use your hands, get dirty. I find it helps to coat my hands with olive oil before getting into it. Work into patties of your desired size. I usually get 5 patties, some bigger, some smaller. Make sure you mix it up well. Grill on the bbq until desired doneness. I do about 4 minutes a side, but BBQs and tastes vary.
You won't believe how the sage just takes over when you get a nice chunk of it. The burgers without the sage are excellent as well, dress them however you like. I like BBQ sauce, mayo, avocado (guacamole), and banana pepper rings. Blue cheese is also a favourite.