Recipes and reviews.
The following is Dilf_Icon's delicious guacmole recipe.
1 largish shallot - minced
1 tbsp grainy dijon
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
Mash avocado. Add other ingredients, stir. Dip chips in, bring to mouth, masticate, swallow.
Goes well will Chilli Margaritas.
Recipe makes 4 drinks:
6oz Tequila: I don't care if it's silver or gold or whatever
2oz Triple Sec or Cointrea or Grand Marnier - something orangy
6 large Limes
1 tsp kosher Salt
1 tsp Sugar,
1/4 tsp Chilli powder
Slice jalapeno and put in a cocktail shaker. Use a muddler or spoon to crush the jalapeno. Add tequila and triple sec.
Slice one of the limes into slice for garnish, juice the rest into the mix.
Use the lime garnish to wet the edge of the glass and rim using the rim mix.
Fill glass with crushed ice and pour in margarita. Enjoy.
1 lb (500 g) mixed mushrooms
¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 large flat bread
8 oz (250 g) Brie, Chevre or something like that
2 cups (500 mL) arugula
2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar
Kosher or Maldon salt for sprinkling
2. Toss together tomatoes and mushrooms with oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. Lay tomatoes and mushrooms in 1 layer on a baking pan and roast for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Let cool, and slice mushrooms.
3. Brush a baking sheet with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil. Lay flat bread in baking sheet and brush with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil.
4. Scatter over cheese, mushrooms and tomatoes and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Toss arugula with the 2 tsp (10 mL) balsamic vinegar and arrange on top of flatbread. Sprinkle with salt.
- 1 head green lettuce, I use boston
- 1lb chicken or ground beef
- 1 Avocado
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup grated cheese - I like old cheddar
- 1tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime - about 3 tbsp
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- taco sauce
- tortilla chips
- sour cream if you like it, I don't
Thinly slice the lettuce, dice the tomatoes and avocado.
Mix the oil, lime juice and vinegar using a whisk or fork, put in a big bowl with the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado. Toss, let it sit while you prepare everything else.
Season the meat with either taco seasonings or a mix of cayenne, cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder, etc. Cook it.
Cook the beans: drain and rinse the beans, put in a pot, covered with 2 inches of water, bring to boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes, drain. You might want to let them sit for a bit to dry out.
cover the bottom of your plate or bowl with the tortilla chips, crunch them a bit to flatten them and break into bit sized pieces. Pile on some lettuce mix, meat, beans. Top with cheese. Drizzle taco sauce, sour cream, etc on top.
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup quinoa
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large shallot, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups chopped kale
1 zucchini, chopped
salt & pepper
2 ears sweet corn kernels (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil, cut into strips
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup peas
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
shaved or fresh grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Bring chicken (or vegetable) broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Rinse quinoa very well in a fine mesh sieve under running water (quinoa is coated in a natural, bitter coating that needs to be rinsed off) then add to saucepan, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low, then cook until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots then saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and red chili pepper flakes then saute for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly. Turn heat up to medium-high then add kale and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper then saute for 2 minutes. Add corn and sundried tomatoes then saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add white wine then scrape up brown bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. When wine is nearly gone, add peas then stir to combine. Add chicken broth and cooked quinoa then cook until broth is absorbed. Remove skillet from heat then add basil and stir to combine. Taste then add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve topped with freshly shaved or grated parmesan cheese.